Case Study: South Florida Water Management Communications Projects
Improving Communications Across the Everglades and the Southern Half of Florida
South Florida Water Management District.
The South Florida Water Management District is a regional governmental agency that oversees the water resources in the southern half of the state, covering 16 counties from Orlando to the Florida Keys and serving a population of 7.5 million residents. The District retained RCC Consultants for several communications projects, including:
- A review of the District’s current voice radio system and a detailed analysis of its ability to meet the District’s current and future voice communications system requirements.
- The survey, study and analysis of the District’s Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system with respect to its use of wireless telemetry.
- Development of an organized approach for the deployment of wireless telemetry for the District’s entire telemetry network. This includes establishing a frequency use/reuse plan and establishing radio coverage zones for each frequency band.
RCC provided many important services for the South Florida Water Management District during these projects, including:
- Conducted communications site surveys, on-site interviews of the radio system users, needs assessment, analysis and suitability assessment.
- Identified user communications needs including emergency response and interoperability with surrounding public safety agencies
- Researched available spectrum and technologies to develop cost estimates.
- Developed high-level communications system design and analyzed the impact to the District’s 6 GHz microwave radio infrastructure.
- Developed conceptual communications systems technology alternatives.
- Conducted a field survey of existing wireless telemetry sites including flood gates, water level metering, pumping stations and control centers to understand how the District uses wireless telemetry.
- Performed a frequency search to determine if any additional frequencies are available for wireless telemetry deployment.
- Performed RF propagation analysis to establish a wireless coverage deployment plan for the District’s overall operational area that maintains the level of reliability required.
- Established a wireless coverage plan in conjunction with a frequency reuse plan that maximizes the District’s use of existing wireless frequencies.
- Established SCADA radio coverage zones for each District frequency band, allowing District SCADA personnel to deploy RTUs in the field without having to engineer each wireless link.