Case Study: Commonwealth of Kentucky Next Generation 9-1-1 Plan
Creating a Statewide Next Generation 9-1-1 Plan
Commonwealth of Kentucky, Commercial Mobile Radio Services (CMRS) Board.
The Commonwealth of Kentucky retained RCC Consultants, Inc. to work with the CMRS board to prepare a complete grant application to secure funds for the implementation of a Statewide Emergency Services IP Enabled Network (ESInet).
The project involved the following tasks that led to the completion of the grant application:
- RCC collected the required data to define the ESInet requirements and sizing.
- RCC prepared a Data Summary Report that presented to the Board the details of the information collected to ensure the validity of the data before developing a Statewide ESInet conceptual design.
- RCC interviewed and met with the main service providers identified by the Board. RCC collected and evaluated the service providers' current broadband map and capabilities and prepared a summary evaluation that highlights the advantages and disadvantages of each service provider.
- RCC used the collected data to complete the NG9-1-1 Standards Report. The NG9-1-1 Standards Report included details regarding NG9-1-1 technical requirements as it relates to (PSAPs, GIS, ESInet network and NG9-1-1 applications).
- RCC assisted the Board with reviewing the legislation and regulations to determine their adequacy for supporting NG9-1-1 and ESInet standards and requirements.
- RCC prepared a cost estimate for the implementation of the ESInet including the network and the NG9-1-1 applications.
- RCC prepared a new NG9-1-1 State plan for the implementation of the Statewide ESInet tying all the PSAPs.
- Using all the data collected above and after a detailed review of the grant requirements, RCC prepared a complete grant application for the Commonwealth that only required their signature before submittal.